Little Known Facts about Gold and Silver
Did you Know??
- The term “gold” is the from the Proto-Indo-Europeanbase ghel / ghol meaning “yellow”, “green”, or possibly “bright”.
- The chemical symbol for gold is AU, from the Latin word aurum meaning “shining dawn” and from Aurora, the Roman goddess of the dawn. In 50 B.C., Romans began issuing gold coins called the Aureus and the smaller solidus.
- Did you know that Gold melts at 1064.43° Centigrade. It can conduct both heat and electricity and it never rusts.
- Did you know that all the gold ever mined by man since the dawn of time would fit into 2 olympic swimming pools.
- Did you know that the biggest miner and producer of gold is now China, overtaking South Africa, which has for years been the world leader of Diamond and Gold mining.
- Did you know that in terms of raw material there is about twenty times more silver than gold, but in terms of metal reserves Gold globally has about 1.2 billion ounces where as silver only has about 200 million ounces.
- Gold has always been admired by humans and its use can be traced as far back as the bronze age 5000 years ago.
- Gold is so pliable that it can be made into sewing thread. An ounce of gold can be stretched over 50 miles.
- The value of gold has been used as the standard for many currencies. After WWII, the United States created the Bretton Woods System, which set the value of the U.S. dollar to 1/35th of a troy ounce (888.671 mg) of gold. This system was abandoned in 1971 when there was no longer enough gold to cover all the paper money in circulation.
- The world’s largest stockpile of gold can be found five stories underground inside the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s vault and it holds 25% of the world’s gold reserve While it contains more gold than Fort Knox, most of it belongs to foreign governments
- Carat weight can be 10, 12, 14, 18, 22, or 24. The higher the number, the greater the purity. To be called “solid gold,” gold must have a minimum weight of 10 carats. “Pure gold” must have a carat weight of 24.
(facts provided by http://facts.randomhistory.com/2009/03/09_gold.html)
There are many interesting facts about Gold & Silver, one thing we do know for sure is thatGold prices are at an all time high ever in history. What better time to sell your old broken, scrap or out of style gold jewellery to Ezy Gold buyers, we promise to pay the best price on the day and you will receive Cash in hand (no cheques or bank transfers) just a good old fashioned deal.
Call EZY GOLD BUYERS TODAY 09 570 1511